[fly ayway]

Early friday morning I took a train to Schiphol airport. As I walked through the arrivals hall in the direction of the panorama terrace I thought about the many times i've been there, coming back from some kind of adventure. Or about the times we waited with some coffee and a view of the termac at the panorama café before I needed to go through customs. Usually the panorama café is packed with people, but at 9 am on a friday morning it was still quiet. Only a handful of people, waking up with the aid of a cup of DE koffie.

The man behind the cash register asked everyone if they were going on holiday or not. I wondered what he would think when I answered his question with 'i'm not going away, i'm here to watch & sketch people' but he didn't ask me. I found a place in the back of the café. Nice and quiet and got my pencils and water colours out.

After the coffee & sketching I went to the terrace, sketched some more and enjoyed the sun. Later I walked through the arrival halls, bought some food and took in all that there is to be seen at an airport. I had a marvelous time, but was glad to be home at the end of the afternoon. So many impressions to process. A nap was in order.




No comments:

Post a Comment